Only few can brag about a history like Langelinie Pavillonen. That is why we are so happy to tell it.
There is history in every part of Langelinie Pavillonen. From the sound of dancing shoes on shiny floors at parties at the end of the 19th century on the first pavilion at Langelinie no. 10, to the blast that sound when the second pavilion was blown up during the final schalburgtage of the 2nd world war and to the current third pavilion that we hope to preserve for all posterity.
The current Langelinie Pavillonen is designed by architect couple Eva and Niels Koppel, two of the most prominent postwar Danish architects. In the 1930’s and 40’s they spent some time working in other Nordic countries and were influenced by the architectural expressions of the time, among others by Alvar Aalto. In 1954 the couple won a competition arranged by the City of Copenhagen and the modernistic pavilion was built in 1956-58.
The grounds were built in the 1660’s as part of the expansion of the fortress Kastellet towards Øresund. In the 19th century the fortification of Copenhagen was abandoned and Langelinie was made into a civil coastal boardwalk and a popular spot for outings.
In 1885 Dansk Forening for Lystsejlads (the danish organization for recreational boating) built the first Langelinie Pavillonen by architect Vilhelm Dahlerup. It was a tree pavilion with a restaurant and club rooms that stood until 1902 when a new pavilion was by Fritz Koch for Kongelig Dansk Yachtklub (the royal Danish yacht club). It was popular with the people of Copenhagen, but in 1944 during the 2nd world war it was blown up as a part of the German schalburgtage which were terror actions towards the Danish resistance movement and the general society as revenge for the actions by the resistance.